Thursday, March 20, 2008

Our drive on the south east shore of Oahu

Since I didn't think that I could handle walking very far today, we decided not to go tour the Dole Pinapple Plantation as we had planned, but drove east out of Wakiki along the south east shore of Oahu. I'll post more details about where each of these pictures were taken, but right now I just want to get them down loaded and close my eyes ... its 11pm here but I feel like its 4am ... wait thats cause thats the time in MN!




Our first overlook stop was The Lanai Overlook:



Here is what they were seeing:






M. snapped this shot as I was walking a little on Sandy Beach, as she did I commented, "hey! there is now a picture of me on this vacation" So this is the first picture I am in on this trip:


The kids really enjoyed this part of "Sandy Beach" ... even though there was no sand, just old black lava rock. Further down there was an actual swimming beach with sand, but they really liked seeing and walking on the lava rock. They did laugh at the name "Sandy Beach" though. And in some of these pictures you can really tell how windy it was (look at their hair)

















This is the view looking inland from the beach:




Our next stop was Blowhole Overlook:
(make sure you click on these pictures to see them larger)






Here are the kids watching from the wall



Here is what they were seeing:
First the waves crash in against the rock




Then the water drains down into this whole, kinda like water being flushed down a toilet bowl






See why its called Blowhole Overlook?





Our last overlook and where we turned around and headed back was
called Litehouse Overlook, though its hard to see the litehouse
in this first shot:



My friend, Kir, back in MN will be happy to know how excited the kids
were to get a picture of a litehouse "for Kir to see!"





And here is the rental van we've been riding around in:

No comments: